What is orthopedic footwear?
Orthopedic footwear is designed to provide support, comfort, help alleviate pain and improve mobility for people with various types of foot and ankle conditions. They also to help prevent further injury or complications.
Features of an orthopedic shoe:
Orthopedic footwear typically has several features that separate them from everyday footwear including:
- Padded tongue: minimizes lacing pressure over the instep
- Firm heel counter to provide stability and support
- Deep toe box: to provide room for the toes to be comfortable and to accommodate foot conditions such as hammertoes or bunions
- Strong shank and wide and stable base: to provide balance and arch support
- Rocker sole: to promote a natural gait and reduce pressure on the foot
- Foam cushioned collar (around ankle): extra padding and cushioning to provide comfort and support, prevents heel slippage and creates a snug friction-free fit
- Adjustable straps or laces to provide a customized and secure fit
- Removable insoles: to accommodate custom orthotics
- Often made of durable materials and are easy to clean
Poor foot mechanics affect people of all ages so orthopaedic shoes are often recommended for people of all ages.
At your appointment, we will conduct a full assessment, measure your feet properly and let you know which orthopaedic features are required for your foot type and condition.
If you think you may benefit from orthopaedic footwear, book a consultation with Collective Foot & Wellness Clinic today!